Thursday, August 19, 2010

Art in Nature: Bower Birds

I love bower birds. They truly have a sense of aesthetic - they know what they like and they go for it. The above is an image of a bower bird nest, who clearly likes the color gray. The nests are meant to attract a mate: if I was a female bower bird I'd be all about this guy.

The nests are all individualistic. One bird might decorate his bower in blue, another red. They decorate their nests according to taste, finding just the right items for their bower. They arrange all of their items just so.

Here's my favorite naturalist, Sir David Attenborough, hanging out with bower birds:


Kudos to Sub-Studio for their bower bird post.
Also, kudos to me, back in the day.

Also, this is the funniest thing I have ever seen. Naturalist Nerd Humor!

No comments: