Monday, September 29, 2008

My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult


So this weekend while scouring the earth for art supplies we randomly picked up a city paper and caught that My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult was having a show at DC9.

This is a band I had wanted to see for sometime but, for one reason or another, hadn't. It seemed like every time they came to town I would find out about it AFTER the fact. I can clearly recall the very first opportunity I had to see them - they were having a show at the 9:30 Club in a couple of days and I only found out about it because I was at 9:30 for a MDFMK show (yes, you read that right - I went to an MDFMK show). And in highschool you can't just go to two shows in a row. Plus I think it was a weeknight.

ANYWAY. Why do I like this band? There is the obvious musical merit. I like the way they sound. But listening to them transports me back to a stage in my development - a crystalized moment in time. Listening to them reminds me of a sort of dark, desperate depravity but not in a meaningful way - not in a Nine Inch Nails "I am truly feeling miserable" kind of way. This was more of a chosen, masochistic kind of darkness. If you listen to "A Daisy Chain 4 Satan" you'll know what I mean.

We saw them Sunday night and the space was the right amount of full - a respectable crowd that wasn't so bad that you had to stand too close to strangers but wasn't so wimpy that you felt bad for the band. I have to say the patrons were a pretty good looking lot, which is notable since this is an industrial rock crowd (hating! I'm fired). There were lights! and video! and a fog machine!

But best of all there was good music. They didn't play all my favorites, but the hit a lot of memorable tunes (including "A Daisy Chain 4 Satan"). I danced like a madman and it was excellent. I kept saying "This was SUCH a good idea". I had some random people offer me a sip from their flask ("No thanks, I'm good"). In general I have to say it was one of the best and most memorable shows I've been to in a long time. If you're entertained by songs about sex, drugs and occult I would highly recommend catching their show/buying an ablum.

No comments: